Vision and Editing

The Vision and Editing Team originally consisted of three people: Sierra Severin, Emily Boland, and me. When we were first placed on the same team, we were tasked with determining what our team’s role would be in the bigger picture and to present it in the form of a project proposal.

We initially saw Vision and Editing as the team that would oversee the appearance of any content being produced and published from the class. This would include a finalized StyleSheet, a mission and vision statement, and consolidated and transcribing the other teams’ written work into extant materials for web publications. We would also be working in collaboration with Brown County UW-Extension Community Gardens Program (BCCG) and Friends of the Community Garden (FCG).

As we worked together and the class progressed, it became clear that our initial goals needed to be adjusted. Having the Vision and Editing reduced to a two person team half way through the course due to external circumstances, we needed to readjust and reassign our goals to fit the evolving needs of the class and team. For the most part, our initial goals remained the same.

Our three main goals became the following:
1. Draft and maintain a StyleSheet
2. Formulate a mission statement
3. Fundraising Toolbox

The StyleSheet created would provided a aesthetic template for English 306 to follow to ensure our image was consistent. Because we also were working with community partners, I reached out via email to Bethany Thier, a community consultant, for advice. After reviewing Bethany’s response with additional guidance from my professor Drew Scheler, I went forward to produce a style board in the form of a powerpoint presentation. This helped ground the project in terms of visual aesthetic. From there, I worked with my team to produce the finalized StyleSheet. We were able to craft the English 306 StyleSheet that not only could provide our class with a unified look, but also provided a unified look with BCCG and FCG.

The creation of a mission and vision statement was in the works at the same time as the StyleSheet. A lot of the work put into the this portion was done mainly through in class discussion and additional brainstorming as a team outside of set class times. Ultimately, it all came down to a single class discussion where everyone pitched 2 – 5 word phrases. We were originally just spitballing phrases for a new fundraising slogan. The original slogan was “shortening the food chain.” Vision and Editing voiced our concerns that this might project negative visuals. Other teams agreed. As we continued, it ultimately came down to my fifth pitch to the class. I proposed the phrase: “Grow Better Together.”

“Grow Better Together” fit our needs not only as a fundraising slogan, but as a mission statement for FCG. It was less than five words, something that Bethany stressed as an important need of mission statements. Each word is a key word. “Grow” brings to mind community gardening. “Better” shows the need and want to improve. “Together” is an invitation for community support. “Grow Better Together” went on to become the official mission statement, appearing on flyers, posters, and other official work produced by Engl 306, BCCG, and FCG.

The Fundraising Toolbox was a late addition to the Vision and Editing Task List. It was after a meeting with a potential fundraiser sponsor that the need for it arose. Because I was the lead member who initiated the meeting, my team set to work on the toolbox. Framing it based on traditional fundraising toolboxes, we formatted it to include three main portions: creative fundraising ideas, social media posts, and email templates. This was later expanded to include: a disclaimer for how to use the toolbox, a brief introduction to what FCG is, and different forms of pitches that could potentially be used in the future. After receiving feedback to address our concerns over a toolbox with no clear destination, we proceeded with the mindset that it would be a ‘living’ toolbox that would evolve in the future to fit FCG’s needs.