Research Brief 2: Psychological Effects of Food Insecurity

In my second research brief, Psychological Effects of Food Insecurity, I focused on how food insecurity provided negative effects on your psychological health, but more specifically that of children. This brief touches on the topics of access to adequate food and how this effects you mood and mental status. Also, this brief looks at how food insecurity plays a role in hindering the development of children both physically and mentally.

When creating this document, I utilized the American Psychological Association (APA) as my main source of information. I condensed many of their case studies and cross referenced the correlation between each study. After doing that, I pull the most prevalent information that appeared in each of the cases and used that to argue the benefit that community gardens play in regards to psychological and mental health. Each case looked at different aspects of mental health such as stress, mood swings, and mental awareness. Also, I utilized the BCCG white paper to pull from local information to compare to what the APA presented. Throughout the creation of this document, Professor Drew Scheler provided feedback that both challenged and pushed the limits on academic correctness and effective information presentation.

This brief touches on all aspects of mental health in order to better understand the impact that community gardening provides. It provides hard evidence and factual information that shows that having access to healthy foods can promote better psychological and mental well-being.