Fundraising Toolbox

This fundraising toolbox was the result of tons of hard work and collaboration throughout the semester between our Visioning and Editing team members, the class professor – Drew, and the community partners.  This toolbox began as a way to guide members of the class and the partners through email outlines, creative fundraising ideas, and social media feed examples.  After putting this original toolbox together, Beth from the FCG and Drew decided that this toolbox would be the most helpful if it was applicable for the future of the FCG, a tool that could be used through the foreseeable future which you can read about in this email from Drew.

As such, Kathy and I, put together a new toolbox that, although not immediately helpful for this fundraiser, will benefit the FCG for years to come.  Our new toolbox includes the short pitches and email to corporate sponsors asking for donations from Kathy and thank you emails, text informing users of how the toolbox should be utilized, and a general introduction from me.  It was all edited by our professor and lead editor of the class, Drew Scheler.  You can find the unedited by Drew version here and the finalized toolbox here.

From all the work I spent writing and editing my sections of the toolbox, I have learned so much about the work groups like the FCG have to do.  It was amazing to learn how generating ideas and working in the community is a constantly fluctuating process.  I have also learned about how vital it is to adapt your writing for your audience; what works for St. Norbert College students will not always work (or may never work) for a large business.

This piece of work has proven to be effective.  Drew emailed many comments of praise, including, “That document [Fundraising Toolbox] not only contains original written materials, but also represents the best, most clearly consolidated version of the entire class’s work this semester. It’s the basic evidence you have of ‘editing'” (Scheler, Drew. “Checking in!”).  You can also view more comments of how this work is helpful and what we contributed in this email he sent to Kathy and me.

In order to get a larger sense of how drastically this all changed, I have provided you with some links to the original works and comments.  You can see the first (pretty rough) draft of the toolbox here, Drew’s feedback on it here, and Beth and Drew’s new ideas for the toolbox here.  Even though my work from the first draft was not used, it still proved to be helpful in moving us forward and gathering all the ideas together.

I would like to acknowledge my peers as I could not have done any of this writing, editing, or inventing without the work of Kathy, Drew, Beth, or my classmates and community partners.