Infographic

As stated previously, the infographic was undoubtedly my most professional and effective work for the Grow a Meal fundraiser. Our team was blessed with a great graphic designer, Beth Thier who provided pro bono services. My job was to formulate the text for an Infographic Draft.

In general, we wanted a two-sided sheet illustrating why community gardening is meaningful through powerful visuals. Originally, the front side was background on the basic data and facts of community gardening and the back contained personal, local stories to connect the reader emotionally and ethically to the program.

Both sides referenced the BCCG white paper and research briefs completed by our Research team. I focused on the FCG’s endowment, not just BCCG’s programming, in order to explain what community gardening is doing for people nationally. Marrying these two organizations goals through my writing was difficult. It was a main problem throughout our project that needed to be addressed by the Marketing and Logistics team. 

The strongest portion of my draft was the personal, local stories on the back. Drew Scheler, who provided feedback and revisions, pointed out that “facts are a limited way to convince someone to donate”.  In order to connect people with this program, it was crucial to turn impersonal facts into stories that are close to home and emotionally compelling. The Research team used my strong language in their final Research Packet and presented them as ‘Diversity Statements’. The team felt compelled to put   

The Final Infographic utilized some of the best asks from my draft. Not all of my text was used, but the final piece was a beautifully designed document that was used throughout the fundraiser. A member of the FCG board used the writing in the infographic to make an ask for a land donation and my work helped the team put the broad program goals into an easily understandable, audience friendly format.  

The infogrpahic will be one of “FCG’s major showpieces into the indefinite future.” In the development of this writing, I was able to synthesize, and report a large amount of research. I used advanced writing methods and created a piece that worked for both the BCCG and FCG. The provided feedback created a set of materials that allowed Beth to design creatively and constructively.

The resulting document is one that I am extremely proud of. It sits nicely
alongside the other works created by the ENG306 team as a quick references of the benefits of community gardening. In the past week, I was informed that my infographic is now part of a formal pitch to Bellin Health for a $25,000 sponsorship. Further, FCG intends to develop further projects that articulate the multicultural perspectives on community gardening. My work is not only the starting point for this project, but has set a bar for excellence that the project should strive for.